DC Intern Diaries

I'm a female 24 year old DC permanent intern. You name it and I've probably interned it. I'm also a graduate student in DC.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Man Threatens to Blow up Van by White House Right Before Inauguaration; Creates Traffic

From the WP: A man who threatened to blow up a van a short distance from the White House waged a standoff with law enforcement authorities this evening, snarling downtown traffic for blocks and leading police to evacuate several blocks of downtown as a precaution. The man was upset about a family matter and the episode did not appear to be related to terrorism or Thursday's presidential inauguration....The incident began just before 4 p.m. at 15th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW. Police said the man, who was driving a cargo van, claimed to have 15 gallons of gasoline inside along with a triggering device.

This guy must be nuts. Who is stupid enough to do something like this when there are hundreds of snipers and armored vehicles and police and troops around????

Traffic today at 5pm downtown was just awful. It took me double time to get where I was going on. My cabbie was NOT happy about crossing town.

I used to intern at one of the buildings they evacuated. That must have been scary. They evacuated a few times when I worked there because of threats. It always freaked me out. I wasn't getting paid enough to deal with that stress.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home