DC Intern Diaries

I'm a female 24 year old DC permanent intern. You name it and I've probably interned it. I'm also a graduate student in DC.

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

practicing my new years resolution

I want to improve my lagging vocabulary. I find myself speaking and writing and find it hard to believe I am the same person who earned an 800 on the verbal section all those years ago. Work and post-college schooling have made me dumber, more terse and concise and unimaginative in my writing, and more focused on politics and law, rather than well-rounded, scholarly, and intellectual, as I was in high school/college. Damn my elitist college for making me think I could actually be an intellectual or creative or think in the real world!

So my resolution is to start thinking again and find time to read non-school related books - classics (I like 20th and 19th century Brit and Russian lit, I am going to try to get into some French lit as well) and some philosophy. It may seem like more studying on top of next semester's courseload, but damn it, I am going to find my brain again!

Another part of my resolution is to start working on my vocabulary, buy one of those Princeton Review or Webster vocabulary guides and use a new word a day. I think it's deleterious to allow my former mastery of english vocabulary and grammar to fritter away and I will be tenacious about recovering it.

This week's practice word is importune: to plead or urge irksomely, often persistently.
Ex: I importune my boyfriend to be more romantic.
Ex2: I importune my boyfriend to buy me diamonds for Christmas.
Ex3: I importune my boyfriend to....well you get the point.

2 Comments:

At December 21, 2004 at 3:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Careful . . . importuning sounds a lot like nagging to me.

 
At December 21, 2004 at 12:44 PM, Blogger dcintern said...

Hmm, it does sound like nagging...but the definition is not just to ask, but to ask "irksomely" and plead. I suppose those are just nicer terms for nagging? I don't see "nagging" as a synonym of the word, but I believe that it may be....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home