DC Intern Diaries

I'm a female 24 year old DC permanent intern. You name it and I've probably interned it. I'm also a graduate student in DC.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

My voting experience today

I was watching the poll coverage before I went to go vote myself and then go to work. The lines at my polling place were much longer than the lines showing on air this morning in DC and other places. I had false hopes that I could actually vote in 1-1.5 hours. There are only FIVE polling booths at the polling place I went to! We watched people eventually give up because they couldn't afford to be so late to work. (I personally lost a few hours of my salary by taking leave without pay to vote). It is a travesty that it takes so long and that those people who tried to vote my not come back. I predict the evening rush will be much much worse. Who knows how many people will leave the line then?

2 Comments:

At November 4, 2004 at 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So vote absentee next time.

 
At November 12, 2004 at 2:42 PM, Blogger dcintern said...

I was told I couldn't vote absentee in VA. You're only allowed to if you go to school somewhere else (DC doesn't count)or you work 11 hours a day, which I don't (even though I am out of the house 11 hours a day when school and work are combined).

So in 2008 I'm either going to be working 11 hours a day (very likely) or bringing more magazines and snacks with me. It wouldn't have been as bad if I had been allowed to bring my cell phone or hadn't finished both magazines in an hour or been standing next a cute guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home