DC Intern Diaries

I'm a female 24 year old DC permanent intern. You name it and I've probably interned it. I'm also a graduate student in DC.

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Teresa Heinz Kerry Comment About Laura Bush Not Having Worked/Job

Teresea Heinz Kerry's comment was NOT a big deal. Laura Bush quit her job and profession basically when George proposed to her and exchanged her teaching degree for an Mrs degree. She hasn't held a job in about 30 years! What kind of role model is she for young women? My mother and my grandmother and their generations fought hard for me and other young women to have the opportunity to be a law partner, CEO, business owner, doctor, accountant, etc, and not have to stay at home with the kids and not go to college simply to get an "Mrs degree." Staying home to raise kids is hard work, but it is not a "job." There are no clients, bosses, paychecks, deadlines, documents, lawsuits, board meetings, powerpoint presentations, billable hour requirements, competition from peers, etc!! By calling staying home a "job" it discredits the hard work that young women do to try to become equal to men in the business world. Women have to work even HARDER than men to prove they're not on "mommy t
rack" in law firms and companies or to prove they're not going to just quit as soon as a man proposes to them. Teresa Heinz Kerry has a job and has worked hard. Laura Bush has worked hard, but has not a job for thirty years.

1 Comments:

At July 23, 2005 at 4:20 PM, Anonymous Morg said...

Women worked hard for equality. To look down on someone as less as a role model because she thought the raising of kids was a more fulfilling job than going to work and making money---well, I don't think that's very open-minded of you or reasonable.
The message young girls should be sent is that they can do whatever they want. Not that they can do whatever they want as long as it isn't raising children.
No matter what the world would like you to think successful women who work sacrifice when it comes to their kids.
God knows I plan to be a successful, working mother. But I reconize that that means that my job and my kids won't get my full attention and, as such, will turn out worse than they could have if I had devote 100 percent of my time and thought to them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home